Autumn gooseberry treatment for those who want to get a great crop next year
Dec 20, 2019
Proper handling of gooseberry in the autumn period is the key to long-term fruiting shrub. After all, proper care for gooseberries will enable him to gain strength to safely spend the winter, and actively bear fruit after waking. Today I'll show you how to take care of gooseberries in your garden.
This is an important step and should not be ignored. The first thing I remove the weeds and foliage Opal, it's a hotbed of diseases, including fungus. Then dig up the soil around the bushes.
This is done to:
· Get rid of pests and destroy the spores of the fungus;
· Remove the remnants of the weeds;
· Avoid excessive soil compaction. After all, while the roots of the plants will experience a lack of oxygen and begin to rise to the surface, and this can lead to freezing of the winter.
Break up large piles of earth in the spring, it is not necessary to turn the main land.
To gooseberries in season actively fruited, it is necessary to fertilize. I do it in the fall when digging the ground under a bush. Can feed fertilizers such:
· Rotted organic matter - about 6-12 kg;
· Ash - 300 g;
· Potassium sulphate - 20 g;
· Superphosphate - 30 g;
· Chicken droppings - 1:15 diluted with water;
· Mullein - diluted with water 1:10.
For autumn fertilizing nitrogen fertilizers are not used, they will be useless, since washed away before the spring rains. The last feeding is carried out no later than the end of September.
After the procedure, the surface of the ground under a bush need zamulchirovat. This will help to protect the roots of the bush from the upcoming cold weather. Also mulch will keep the soil loose structure, which will improve the penetration of oxygen to the root system.
As the mulch I use dry leaves and compost, are also suitable sawdust and peat. A layer of mulch should be at least 10 cm.
Gooseberries for normal development needs a lot of light and air. These shrubs tend to thicken rapidly, and they begin to shade themselves from this and start to wither. To avoid this I spend pruning.
· Dry branches;
· Branches affected by the disease;
· Branches that grow too low. They will get a lot of shade, and they will not give a normal harvest;
· The old branches, which are more than 5 years. They differ from young darker color, they are almost black, and they are thicker and coarser;
· Branches with too dense crown.
After these cutoffs, the spring I do this is no longer necessary. Only need to remove branches that freeze slightly.
After spending all stages of gooseberry processing, can only wait for the season to once again enjoy a delicious, sweet fruits.